Thursday 17 June 2021

How do snakes open their jaws so wide?

 My class has been learning to write explanations. We had two groups, and one were learning to write a complex sentence, the other was aiming to include a diagram. A complex sentence is a small phrase where you put it in a larger sentence, but you can move it around. 

There were lots of choices for what we could write about, but I chose snakes. I chose to write about how snakes open their jaws wide enough to swallow their prey, but I shortened that to just how snakes open their jaws so wide. I was away when everyone else started, so I had to work even faster. I got help from Kylah, one of my friends, so here is a link to her blog

I enjoyed finding out the facts about how snakes are able to stretch their jaws, because I didn't know them before. I found it tricky to structure my writing, because I hadn't had time to finish my plan. Next time I would change my title, because it's a bit long. 

Did you know how snakes open their jaws wide before you read this? Did you know about their split jaw? Tell me in the comments below!

Here is my explanation writing:


How Do Snakes Open Their Jaws So Wide

Introduction

Snakes open their jaws so wide so that they can swallow their prey whole. This is how they do it:


Why do snakes swallow their food whole?

Snakes do not have the right teeth to chew their food, so they must swallow their catch whole. Their jaws are constructed to allow them to stretch their mouths that wide.


How do snakes open their mouths so wide?

In snakes, the lower jaw is not connected like in mammals. At the front there is a split, and it’s held together by a stretchy ligament. That makes it so it can stretch, making the mouth larger. 


Diagram



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comments:
Positive - something done well
Thoughtful - a sentence to let me know that you have read, watched or listened to my blog
Helpful - give some ideas for next time or ask a question

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.